Thrift shopping this weekend? Here are some stylish ‘Mtumba’ fashion tips from rising style collective, Thika Dapper Twins.
This past weekend, rising style collective, Thika Dapper Twins (Bill and Vincent Libosso) were tasked with an impossible mission: to dress YouTuber, Charlie Karumi.
Fashion bloggers Nancie Mwai, Joy Kendi and even Sharon Mundia do it! Yes, even several local artists, foreigners and tourists visiting Nairobi, including even expatriates, and yes we too do it. That is second hand cloth shopping, popularly known as ‘mtumba’ shopping.
View this post on Instagram
NEW EPISODE ALERT!! It's the MUTINDWA THRIFT yoh!! The Thika Dapper Twins Vincent and Bill help this poor soul @charliekarumi thrift up some new outfits in Mutindwa!!! https://www.facebook.com/chromey254/videos/715984905265082/ Don't forget to share! Sharing is sexy ??? /// #ThikaDapperTwins #Mutindwa #MutindwaMarket #Buruburu #UmojaInnercore #charliekarumi #CharliesDayOut #fashion #youtuber #instagram #dapper #twins #dappertwins #Osmo #samsungshotthis #samsung #vlog #vlogging #youtuberskenya #youtubersafrica
From Gikomba to Adams, Ng’ara to Mutindwa, Muthurwa to Githurai, second hand shops and thrift stores have become a third place stop for shopping.
It is cheap, but yet unique fashion pieces that you can never find anywhere. It is a spot for fashion lovers and the fashion-conscious people who do not wish to break the back just to look stylish.
Discovering Mutindwa with Karumi offered lesson and tips for anyone willing to try thrifting in Nairobi:
- The secret to finding ‘gems’ is to shop either early morning at 6am or late evening from 6pm.
- That piece does not need to fit to be bought. Yes, pick anything that catches your eye and let the tailors work magic for you.
- Bright colors and unique designs are a great choice, especially for ladies since they do not need accessories.
- Always go deep into the market. Shopping in Mutindwa is like a three-course meal: what you get at the main road is just but the dessert. The main course is deep into the market.
- Bargain! Bargain! Bargain! The vendors will try to convince you that the clothes are ‘camera’ (meaning they are new and stylish), but the great thing is that the price is never fixed. So, bargain and bargain hard.
View this post on Instagram
#ThikaDapperTwins Your Mission Is A Difficult One! Thika Dapper Twins: IT ALWAYS IS! NEW EPISODE ALERT!! It's the MUTINDWA THRIFT yoh!! Mission: This week the Thika Dapper Twins you have to come to Charlie's rescue and help him thrift up some outfits at the little known but super trendy Mutindwa Market! WE ARE SICK AND TIRED OF HIS ONE PAIR OF TSHIRT AND SNEAKERS!!! ?? The Thika Dapper Twins Vincent and Bill help this poor soul thrift up some new outfits in Mutindwa!!! Watch it on #Facebook https://www.facebook.com/chromey254/videos/715984905265082/ Full Video Link on #YouTube NOW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvj91byUyo @charliekarumi got swagged out! @thikadappertwins swagged him out! #MosesNganga edited this Don't forget to share! Sharing is sexy /// #ThikaDapperTwins #menswearfashion #india #mensstyle #uber #menswear #dope #dapper #urban #kenyandappermen #sexiestkenyans #guyswithstyle #guysofinstagram #instagramkenya #styleguy #details #gqinsider #throwbackthursday #guyswithstyle #losangeles #esquire #fashionblogger #instafashion #celebrity #detailedgent #modamasculina #tbt #featuremenow
Happy shopping weekend! What are some of your Mtumba shopping hacks? Share off in the comments below.