By Angel Love, BoomShots Guest Contributor
This is the Original Boomshots. Often Imitated… Never Duplicated. Tune in every day for Word, Sound, and Power. Boomshots keeps you up to speed on the freshest reggae, dancehall, rap, and other beats of the global streets. Log on for news, views, previews, reviews, and interviews, outernationally speaking from Kingston to Brooklyn and beyond. | Full Bio |
Opinions expressed by wgNETWORKS Contributors are their own.
Boomshots Presents A Multi-Genre Playlist for Valentine’s 2016 and we rekindle that memory in 2017!
It’s that time again, lovers. This article features 14 decadent tunes in Reggae, Jazz, Contemporary, and Rhythm and Blues, for your listening pleasure. The songs were selected based on the artist/talent, lyrical content and overall sound. More After The Jump…
- Busy Signal “Come Over/Missing You” — Busy Signal reportedly showered fans with an early Valentine’s treat on Instagram today. The rave reviews on What’s app lands him at the number 1 spot. This is the most versatile and creative artist in dancehall. We highlight the fan favorite “Come Over/Missing You, ” for it’s beautiful lyrics: “Girl Your All I Need and I’m Always Missing You”
- Sade “Your Love Is King” — Sade will always be top of the line, with her sultry jazz vocals and poignant lyrics.
- Beres Hammond “Full Attention” — What would reggae be without Beres Hammond? He truly knows how to express deep passion in his lyrics to get our full attention.4. Sanchez “Here I Am” — This signature voice stands alone as one of the best voices in reggae. Sanchez’s voice fluctuates in crescendo with each verse of “Here I Am.” This pattern in conjunction with the emotions in his voice, emphasizes the vulnerability in the lyrics of this Air Supply classic, making the cover version surpass the original.
Here I am
Playing with those memories again
And just when I thought time has set me free
Those thoughts of you keep haunting me
Holding you, a feeling I never once knew
Though each and every part of me had tried
Only you can fill that space inside
But I guess I’m pretending, my heart is not mending
Just when I thought I was over you,
And just when I thought I could stand on my own
Oh baby, those memories just come crashing through
And I just can’t go on without you
5. Tessanne Chin “Hideaway” — “The Voice” delivers superb vocals in “Hideaway.” This song off the 2010 In Between Worlds album, captures both her vocal ability and compassionate lyrics.
6. Bob Marley “Touch Me” — Though he has numerous love songs in his musical anthology, I chose a song I listened to for the first time during his earthstrong weekend this month. This man had so much swag, the best of the best!
7. Gregory Isaacs “Night Nurse” — In this song, the Cool Ruler’s temperature was rising, his pulse, blood pressure and breathing rate all way above normal. There was only one possible remedy: the “Night Nurse’ who could ‘quench his thirst.”
8. Miguel “Adorn” — This song’s production and soulful vocals is a refreshing bridging of old and new.
9. Damian Marley “Affairs of The Heart” — This 2012 mega hit is still in heavy rotation. The conscious lyrics about love and the heavy instrumental production keeps fans wanting more.
10. Otis Redding “These Arms Of Mine” — The soulful sound of Otis Redding and his deep, heart-filled lyrics continues to propagate from generation to generation of listeners.
11. Romain Virgo “Stay With Me” — Romain owned his rendition of this original tune by Sam Smith. Such are the perks of having real, raw singing talent.
12. Jah Cure “Before I Leave” — Before I leave, I am predicting that this artist will win the Grammy. When I cried after hearing “True Reflections” for the first time, I was just blown away and to see the evolution of this artist and his music, it is just a true testament of the power of God.
13. Marvin Gaye “After The Dance” — Marvin Gaye poured his soul out on vinyl for this song.
14. Maxwell “Cococure” — Maxwell highlights the fact that Chocolate is a natural aphrodisiac.
* Boomshots Magazine and wgNetworks will not be liable for any babies conceived as a result of listening to this playlist.