There’s nothing like melted cheese, in my book, and the flavours in the grilled cheese are pretty much out of this world. You can alter the balance of sweet/savoury by adding either honey or balsamic vinegar, but I like to keep the ingredients simple, so the sweet, succulent taste of the peaches can really shine through.
- 4 slices of rustic bread (I used a sourdough loaf)
- 2 very ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 4-6 ounces Gruyere cheese, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Butter the outside pieces of the bread slices. Assemble the sandwiches by layering Gruyere cheese, peach slices, and onion. Drizzle with honey or balsamic vinegar, if desired. Top each with remaining 2 bread slices, butter side up.
3.Place sandwiches on grill, grill for 2 minutes on each side, until they’re golden brown and the cheese has melted. Remove from grill and cut the sandwiches in half, if desired. Serve warm.